Monday, February 10, 2014

Chi³

I don't know what it is lately, but I just don't really feel like making the effort to cook. But tonight I decided to force myself, and I'm really glad I did:

Even though I was unsure about this so-called "30-minute easy Chipotle chicken chili" recipe, I went ahead and made it for a few reasons:
1) It seemed easy
2) It seemed Tex-Mexy and as I've said, I miss that sometimes
3) I thought I could cop out easily because I would never find the chipotle chilis in adobo sauce ingredient, but amazingly, as I lamented about this to Sarah (to prove to myself that I really tried?), she told me she'd actually found some and bought them over the weekend for another recipe she wanted to try!(RostS is a serious cooking machine these days) (I guess that would make her a food processrost?)
4) Porterford Butchers near our office not only has good cooked lunch options, but raw options to use for dinner as well. And not only do they seem to be good quality, but they're reasonably priced too! £1.84 for 235g of flank steak
last week and £1.88 for 225g of chicken today?! Amazing!
5) Nothing else seemed that appetizing, both recipe-wise and eat-in/out-wise

Since I was so unsure about the recipe, and only making it for myself, I decided to halve the recipe. So I picked up my Porterford minced chicken (which I haven't found in any grocery stores anyway) and then headed to Tesco to pick up the remainder of the ingredients. We don't really get jalapeños at the supermarket here; if you're lucky, you can get them at Borough or Maltby, but then you have to plan ahead and get that during the day Th-Sat or Saturday only, respectively--so I just used a green chili. I also only used 1 can of cannellini beans, half because I thought 1.5 cans would be too much and half because I wouldn't know what to do with the other half of a can and I hate wasting. Lastly, I decided to use canned corn instead of frozen since I have a bunch at home.

Then it was time to get cookin'. The best part about this recipe is that it isn't lying about being an easy 30 minute recipe - start to finish really did take only about half an hour! And I really did like it in the end - just enough kick but with a lot of flavor. The only other modifications I made were, maybe because I'm Asian and love rice, I decided ahead of time to throw some rice in the cooker, because the chili with chips wouldn't be enough for me. While cooking, I did think that the recipe called for way too much cumin and chicken broth - I started to worry that there was too much liquid that wasn't going to thicken. However, I'm glad I listened to the recipe and waited it out, because the broth-based sauce really soaked into the rice and made it sumptuous. I tried some of the chili with the Lime Doritos I bought as well, but the combo, on its own, wasn't for me. Instead, I crunched some chips into my rice and chili mixture and that really did it for me.


Et voilà!

No comments:

Post a Comment